General Information for Play
The Coalition Today
1) No mega-damage weapons are allowed within the city limits by any person other than Coalition soldiers.
2) People who use magic are evil and dangerous criminals, they should be handled with extreme caution and reported to the Coalition as soon as is safe.
3) All psychics must be I.D.'ed. As well often it must be known to all around (such as business owners) that one is a psychic so that if necessary they can be segregated. Psychics unless they are under the employ of the Coalition cannot become more than a second class citizens. Psychics are not allowed to mate with non-psychics. A psychic having physically raped or mind contolled (a form of rape) a person is put to death.
4) D-bees, and all non-humans are not allowed within a Coalition city. They are either escorted out of the city immediately upon setting foot inside, imprisoned or executed.
5) Educated people who are not of the employ of the Coalition are considered dissidents and rogues. These people are stripped of their Coalition status, and expelled from the city. They are considered criminals of almost the same degree as magic users. "They will fill your head with nonsense ideas and make you do things just as easily as being possessed by a magician."
6) Conditions for becoming a Coalition citizen: Cannot be a magic user, mutant, d-bee, or criminal. If psychic must submit to the I.D.'ing process and live by the strict codes. Must obey all Coaltion laws under threat of having citizenship revoked. Cannot associate with other magic users, mutants, or d-bees. Must prove to be a productive member of society.
Recap of Previous Knowledge
There are next to no homeless people within a Coalition city because such unproductive people are removed from the city and thrown into the Burbs. There are however people who live on the streets, these people are almost exclusively miscreants of society, who are constantlly dodging the law while they go about thier criminal activies. These people include City Rats, Rogue Scientists and Scholars, often psychics, and illegal Cyber-docs and Body Fixers.
The population of a Coalition city is purely human, except for psychics who are considered semi-acceptable mutants. The only other exceptions are the Dogboys, who are a slave race, also considered pets, or fodder for war.
Almost all Coalition citizens are uneducated and illerate, except for high ranking people and some of the criminal element.
Most cities have an exterior portion called the Burbs. The Burbs are often vast areas around the outside of a city filled with people who want to become Coalition citizens, or are not allowed. There are many, many people, human and non-human, some are psychic, some are mutants, others d-bees, BUT if at all possible there are no magic users. Even the Burbs are kept as clean as possible from the filth of those who use magic and align themselves with forces of evil.
The Burbs are patrolled by the Psi-Stalkers and their DogPacks. They sniff out magic users, illegal psychics, and monsters. There is only a small chance of avoiding detection if the Burbs are entered legally. Only someone extremely careful can pass through without being noticed, the only other option is to enter somewhere that is not guarded or patrolled. It is not very often that the outside of the Burbs is protected by walls or anything.
Very often things such as monsters or demons attack the Burbs destroying many. The Burbs are a first line of defence filled with people who must defend themselves or die. Often the Dogpacks will help, but this is not always the case, they may be ordered to stay uninvolved or be ordered to do something elsewhere. This makes the Burbs a pretty transitory thing to some extent because crime runs rampant as well, people get dissillusioned of becoming Coalition citizens and just up and leave. People stream into the Burbs usually faster than they leave. It can be a very dangerous place.
In some of the Burbs there is a portion called the Visitor's Corridor. The Visitor's Corridor is a place with many business establishment, very much like a large trading post. Even certain d-bees are allowed to enter into the Corridor. Everyone entering the Corridor is checked by a Psi-Stalker, and it is considered by these stalkers whether or not that person should be allowed. Of course certain races are automatically not allowed. Often people are also checked on the way out. Policy states that all mega-damage weapons, robots, and power armor be tagged and taken into custody until the owner once again leave the Burbs.
Coalition Telivision is something that has recently been introduced. It is an open air broadcast of news, open senate, and information. [GM note: this is the newest brightest part of the Coalition's propoganda machine.] It is on the air for three hours a week every week. It keeps people up to date on the war against evil, military conflicts with neighbouring kingdoms, new laws, and how to best protect yourself from magic users, psychics and monsters. As well in the near future it may be expanding to include a bit of entertainment.